I am a professionally qualified Counsellor and Supervisor and an Accredited and Registered Member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy). This means that you can trust that I work in accordance with the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.
As an Accredited BACP Member I am required to keep to a high standard of on-going training and development and attend monthly clinical supervision to ensure I provide all my clients with an ethical and safe professional service.
I am experienced in supporting adults from 18 years old in areas including sexuality, relationships, and gender, as well as depression, childhood trauma, anxiety, and self-harming behaviours. I have a particular interest and experience in supporting neurodivergent clients; through the process of receiving diagnoses, and with associated mental health concerns including depression, disordered eating, relational challenges, and executive functioning.
Humanistic Integrative Counselling
I work within a humanistic integrative framework using elements of different counselling theories including person centred, existential and gestalt, to suit your individual needs.
I am committed to centering the relationship between counsellor and client and see this as one of the key factors in a successful counselling partnership. To that end, I offer a free initial telephone consultation to allow a space for you to consider working with me, as well as committing to regularly reviewing the working relationship between us throughout the counselling process.
My interest in working with autism and mental health stems from my lived experiences. Having completed comprehensive training with The National Autism Society, BACP and other training providers I have developed the therapeutic skills to enable me to provide a more flexible approach to mainstream therapeutic services. My aim is that we work together to identify any adjustments that can be made to allow you to engage in the counselling process with ease. I hope to create an environment centred around your individual needs to ensure you are comfortable to engage with me in a way that feels best for you.
I am also passionate about supporting clients with ADHD, in particular women with late diagnoses of ADHD who may have related mental health concerns including depression, disordered eating, relational challenges, and executive functioning.
GSRD (Gender, Sexual and Relationship Diversity)
I am committed to embracing inclusivity and welcome all aspects of gender, sexual and relationship diversity. I have attended a number of training events to inform my understanding of these areas and strive to keep up to date with developments through education and training.
- Diploma in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups - The Grove Practice
- Accredited and Registered Member of British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy, York St. John University
- Graduate Certificate in Counselling, Salford University
- Mermaids: Educate and Celebrate - Mermaids UK
- Autism and Eating Disorders Across the Lifespan - Bodywhys
- Debunking Gender Identity - Madison Amy Webb / OnlinEvents
- Working with Race in Short Term Counselling in Higher Education - Birkbeck University
- Safeguarding and managing risk through digital media - BACP
- Autism in Quarantine: Supporting children & young people with ASD during COVID-19 - Emerging Minds
- Relational Depth in Counselling & Psychotherapy, incl. Online - Mick Cooper / OnlinEvents
- Understanding Autism, Asperger's & ADHD - Open University /University of Derby
- Working with Children and Young People Online - OnlinEvents
- Working with difference: use of the ‘cultured self’ - Golnar Bayat, Trainer in Cross Cultural issues
- Safeguarding - Leeds College of Music
- Working with Muslim children and young people - BACP Webinar
- Autism and Eating Disorders - The National Autistic Society
- Effective Brief Psychotherapy - Human Givens Academy
- Autism and the SPELL framework - The National Autistic Society
I have previously worked as a counsellor in a number of different settings, including Leeds Conservatoire, Place2Be children's counselling, York Women's Counselling, The University of Sheffield and NHS Let's Talk via the Joan Pickard Counselling Centre.